The main direction of scientific activity at Kharkiv National University of Internal Affairs is conduction of researches directed on solving the tasks of practical police divisions of Ukraine. Scientific and research activity at the University is realized by scientific and pedagogical personnel of the chairs and laboratories (these are 31 chars at the University, 3 chairs in Sumy branch, scientific and research laboratory on crimes’ prevention and community policing, scientific and research laboratory on problems of training process organization), personnel of other divisions, post-graduate students, cadets, students. Scientists of the University closely cooperate with practitioners of different police divisions.
Specialized Scientific Councils, which function at Kharkiv National University of Internal Affairs
1. D 64.700.02 with the right to conduct meetings on proving doctoral dissertations by specialities:
- - 12.00.01 – theory and history of state and law; the history of political and law studies;
- - 12.00.02 – constitutional law; municipal law;
- - 12.00.03 – civil law and civil process; family law and international private law.
2. D 64.700.03 with the right to conduct meetings on proving doctoral dissertations by the speciality 12.00.08 – criminal law and criminology; criminal executive law.
3. D 64.700.01 with the right to conduct meetings on proving doctoral dissertations by specialities:
- - 12.00.07 – administrative law and process, financial law, informational law;
- - 12.00.09 – crimainal process and forensic, forensic expertise; operational and search activity.
4. D 64.700.06 with the right to conduct meetings on proving doctoral dissertations by speciality 22.00.04 – special and branch sociology.
5. K 64.700.04 with the right to conduct meetings on proving candidate’s dissertations by the speciality 19.00.06 – legal psychology (psychological sciences).
Nowadays there are 53 professors and doctors of science, more than 450 assistant professors, candidates of science who work at Kharkiv National University of Internal Affairs.
General organization, coordination and control over scientific and research activity at the University is realized by the Department of research work organization, which is subordinated to the first Vice-Rector on training, methodical and scientific work.